Sunday, September 19, 2010

Flowers – Progression in Brushwork















I have loaded up two paintings of flowers.  One picture was painted last year when I was just starting out.  This painting is called “Flowers...Towering Over Your Head,” and was inspired by the old Beatles’ Song “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.”  I was challenging myself to paint different scenes from the song.  This is my painting of the words from the song that go, “cellophane flowers of yellow and green towering over your head”. 
The second painting is semi – impressionistic; just called “Flowers.”  It was painted in July of this year and has nothing to do with the Beatles’ song. This painting is one of six that I have worked on, all with the theme of flowers.  I can see the improvement in my brushwork, in the space of six months or so.  The first “Flowers...towering over my head” was painted in oils and “Flowers” was painted in acrylics.
I have swapped from oils to acrylics, as the medium suits me at this point in time.  Acrylic paint dries very quickly, sometimes too quickly, but you can always slow down the drying time.  I do not have the racks and room to dry oils.
My favourite painter is Monet.

No comments:

Post a Comment