Saturday, September 11, 2010

My First Art Lesson

My first art lesson really happened a long time ago. My uncle Harold was an artist, and has produced some wonderful landscapes. We all looked to him as the artist in our extended family.

I was staying with the family at my grandmother’s place when we were on our school holidays. We had been to church on the Sunday morning and after dinner we all took a walk at the local recreation area. The family group split up and formed a straggling line along the pathway. I was walking next to my uncle and we started to talk about trees.

“Look at all the different colours in the trees,” remarked my uncle. I was a teenager, or younger so I replied. “Trees are green, what are you talking about different colours in the trees?”

Then my uncle went on to show me how the sun shone on the trees causing different colours to form, the bright side of the tree, the shadows that form on the dark side and all the many shades of yellows, greens, and browns that were present. My eyes were opened and I never looked at any tree or landscape ever again without seeing all the shades of colour.

This really was my first art lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment