Monday, May 16, 2011

Judging Art Work is a Crap Shoot?

David Slonim said, "The judging of art shows is a crap shoot".

I am really just starting out on the journey of art.  I have been advised by the Art Tutor (I bought 10 instructional DVDs when I commence to paint), and a subsequent portrait workshop that I attended, NOT to be bothered with going into art competitions.  WHY?

Judging art shows must be very hard. I would not submit an artwork to a show unless I did my homework.

1.  Who is judging the art show?
2.  What does the CV of the judge/s look like?
3.  Can you look at any prizes / medals artworks that the judge/s have awarded?
4.  Run your own artwork through a self judgement check list!

I have seen some major art prizes of some $20,000.00 awarded in the last few months that really were way up on the YUK scale.  I assume that the judges gave them 1 ST prize as their artwork was totally unsaleable!

Any Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment