Thursday, November 13, 2014

Driving in Paris by Paul Howlett


Driving In Paris     by Paul Howlett



   Some twenty or so years ago, I decided to travel to Europe. I commenced learning French at a night school class once a week.  Subsequently to that, I started up some private lessons, and by the time I was ready to fly to Europe, I could make myself understood in French.  At least as a tourist!

    I decided to go French all the way and took a French Airlines flight from Sydney to Paris. I ordered a French car rental to be picked up at Charles de Gaulle Airport. I had three months to tour France and Britain, and I was looking forward to a grand holiday!


    The first problem arose due to President Bush. He ordered the invasion of Iraq and the First Gulf War was in full swing.  This resulted that the French Airplane had to fly away from the Middle East, thus adding a couple of hours onto the flight time.  I did not sleep on the plane. I was excited to be going to Europe and I do not sleep well on planes, as the engine noise seems to permeate every part of the plane together with my body.


   This resulted in a terrible case of Jet Lag, my body ached and I had a pounding headache that would just not go away. I had not slept for two days!

    I exited the plane and walked through customs.  Then I looked for the car rental desk of the company from which I had ordered my little 1000cc Citroen car.  It took me half an hour to find the desk.  Most international airports seem to neglect the desk space for car rentals companies.  I finally found this car rental desk under some stairs, almost out of the building.


    I selected a little red colored Citroen, with stick shift.  The car was brand new to the point of having a “stiff” gear box.  I had a great deal of trouble finding second gear!  I drove around the parking lot (carpark) about four times then headed out on the motorway, heading, I hoped, for Paris.


    I had booked a hotel near the gates of the Palaces of Versailles. I thought that I could drive around Paris to find my hotel.  What a joke.  I became hopelessly lost. At one stage I found that I was heading for the coast!


    My headache increased from bad to very bad. I can still remember the first time I proceeded to make a left hand turn, across traffic. One part of my brain was screaming that everything was wrong, while my conscience brain was driving according to the French rules of the road!


    I made three circumnavigations of the centre of Paris on the Peripherique.   This is the main ring road that goes completely around the old centre of Paris.  I just could not find a sign that pointed me on the way to Versailles.


    I was so tired; I had such a bad headache I almost screamed with the frustration of not finding a way to drive to Versailles.  Remember in those days there was no such thing as a GPS navigator, and as I was on my own, I could not read my very good Michelin Road Map and drive at the same time!


    Finally on my third circuit of the city, I had a “light bulb” moment. I would follow the signs to the old airport in the Paris suburbs, which is situated on the south side of Paris.  Orly Airport is the original airport of Paris, and still in use, and as Versailles is on the same side of Paris, I figured that there just may be signage from Orly to Versailles.


    I drove into the main “put down and pick up” part of Orly airport and sure enough there was a sign showing me the way to Versailles.  I followed all those signs as if they were leading me to the Holy Grail!  Finally, I arrived at Versailles, parked the car almost next to the gates of Versailles and found my room in the Hotel. I was so happy to get out of my sweat stained travelling clothes, take a shower and then head out of foot to explore some of the township of Versailles.


    Yes, headache of not, I was going to keep right on going!


 I paid for that, as I ended up with a headache for three days, but I did get to see the Palace of Versailles a couple of times.  Now that was very enjoyable!

1 comment:

  1. Ken here. In 1966, when I was aged 17, our family went to France in our English car. When Dad wanted to overtake a car or truck, he had to move the car over the centre-line of the road, and us kids had to tell him if it was safe to overtake.
    One day we stopped for lunch on a quiet country road near the Pyrenees, and after lunch, Dad started driving on the left side of the road. After about half a minute, a car came towards us on the same side of the road that we were on. We all yelled at the same time, "Dad you're on the wrong side!!"
    When we got to Paris, we tried to do a left turn from a main highway, into a small street, and Dad waited for a few minutes, looking for a break in the three lanes of traffic coming towards us. Eventually a Gendarme stepped off the footpath, blew his whistle, raised his hands in all directions to stop the traffic, and then pointed to us. He gestured for us to proceed to the side road, so Dad cautiously started moving. As we drove along the side road, we looked back to see if the Gendarme was chasing us, but was he was just glad to have cleared a major traffic jam.
    C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete