Saturday, November 1, 2014

Differences in American and English Languages. By Paul Howlett


(Translated for our French readers).

In the United States I would drive my car to the parking lot, check the engine under the hood and put my bag in the trunk.


Aux États-Unis, je conduire ma voiture sur le parking, vérifiez le moteur sous le capot et mettre mon sac dans le coffre.


In Australia (or England) I would drive my car to the carpark, check the engine under the bonnet and put my bag in the boot.


En Australie (ou en Angleterre), je conduire ma voiture au parking, vérifier le moteur sous le capot et mettre mon sac dans le coffre.


In the United States I would walk on the side walk.


Aux États-Unis, je marchais sur le trottoir.


In Australia (or England) I would walk on the foot path.


En Australie (ou en Angleterre), je marchais sur le chemin à pied.


When I was in Hawaii, on holidays, I walked into my hotel, and asked three Americans where the carpark was.  I had a bizarre reaction from the three middle aged males who I was talking to.  They looked confused, scratching their heads and did not know what I was talking about.


Quand j'étais à Hawaii, en vacances, je suis entré dans mon hôtel, et j'ai demandé à trois Américains où le parking était. J'ai eu une réaction bizarre de trois hommes d'âge moyen qui je parlais trop. Ils avaient l'air confus, perplexes et ne savaient pas ce que je parlais.


Then I realised that I should have asked where the parking lot was!  When I rephrased my question, then the American men responded and showed me the direction to go.  As I walked away, I overheard one American man say to himself. “Car park, how strange”! 


Puis j'ai réalisé que j'aurais dû demander où le parking était! Quand j'ai reformulé ma question, alors les hommes américains ont répondu et m'a montré la direction à suivre. Comme je suis parti, j'ai entendu un homme américain se dire. »Parking, comme c'est étrange!"


I speak American when I visit the United States.  (grin)


Je parle américain quand je visite les Etats-Unis.

No comments:

Post a Comment