Monday, November 29, 2010

Wisconsin Lake Sunset: artwork with comments.


These comments were sent to me by my friend the Rev Rick Anderson on November 16, 2010 after I sent him a print of the painting.  His comments on my artwork mean a lot to me!
Notes on Wisconsin Lake Sunset, by Rev Rick Anderson, 16 Nov 2010.

Re:  Your painting of the sun reflected over the water.  I think what caught my eye first off and then later, when I studied the painting is the way that the sun’s rays seem to “skip” across the tip of the ripples in the water – and then approach “the observer” as if to invite “the observer”  (me – in this case), to actually enter the “experience” of the contrasting blues and other colours of the scene as a whole.
 (Sorry about such a long sentence, but I wanted to write exactly the impression I get from the details of the painting as they invite me into the overall or total picture – very effective).
Also, despite the predominance of light blue there is evidence of the “intrusion” of darkness in the trees and the darker areas of the blue in the sky and on the horizon that tells me that the sun’s beauty is to be truly appreciated in the few minutes before the compete scene is permanently changed by the immanent movement of the sun.  You have permanently captured the brief moment in time that is soon to be completely change by the passage of time.

1 comment:

  1. A very beautiful painting Paul. Thank you for the print. Looking forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete